In November 1907 the Circular Head District Agricultural, Pastoral, Horticultural and Poultry Association held the first show on what was the old cricket ground. The present showground area was originally sand dunes and a rubbish tip. Up to 80 men with their horses and drays at voluntary working bees levelled and reclaimed the land to begin the formation of the current picturesque showground. The name was changed in 1916 to the current Circular Head Agricultural Society. Continuity of the annual show has been maintained with the only cancellations being due to an influenza epidemic in 1919, WWII years 1942-43 and a polio scare in 1949.
The show has always been a meeting place and day out for the local rural communities with patrons in the very early days arriving on the Warrentina and by coaches organised by Charles Tatlow. Special trains would run from outlying districts bringing both exhibits and patrons.
Draught horses, sheep, beef and dairy cattle, pigeons, poultry and pigs along with the various equestrian events have all played their role over the years. Currently, the Trade and Export competition has evolved into a prestigious event. Similarly, the Junior Cattle Handlers, culminating with the State Handlers competition, is now a pivotal part of the show. The exhibits in the Industrial Hall have always been regarded as being of the highest standard. The kennel and wood chopping competitions also feature along with popular attractions such as the Bird Club display and Vintage cars.
For the entire history of the show the importance of volunteers and their input cannot be emphasised enough. The Stanley Recreation Ground and outlying buildings are a valuable asset for the community and are a legacy to this voluntary dedication. It has been the devoted committees, the community support and the generous sponsors that have ensured the success and continuation of this annual event.
In 2008 the Circular Head show celebrated it 100th year. A wonderful collection of photos and memorabilia were displayed to celebrate the centenary show and the Circular Head Agricultural Society Inc produced a history book titled ‘A history of showing in Circular Head’. If you would like to purchase a copy please contact us.